A quick review of my achievements and discoveries (art related or not) for the quarter allows me to acknowledge my achievements, understand where I still need work, and remember some of the new and exciting things I may have seen or done outside of the studio.
This is not intended to be an exhaustively detailed examination of all that has passed, but more an easily digestible bullet point record.
Quarter 1 – 2020
- Sold work at a new art installation at The Artisan Cafe in Blackwood, SA.
- Completed and delivered another commission piece to happy and satisfied clients
Books & Podcasts
- Completed reading the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman which I found fascinating.
- Read the first book in the Wayward Pines Trilogy
- Read The Joy of Home Distilling which was really interesting and opened my eyes to the finer points of spirits
- Currently reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind which is also very eye opening and thought provoking.
Movies & Television
- Continued my love of TV shows inspired by books by watching season 1 of His Dark Materials
- Also watched season 1 of Wayward Pines
- Just starting to watch Season 3 of Westworld which has taken the battle between humans and hosts out of the park into the real world. This series never fails to disappoint.
Took the family away to Tasmania for a week and drove around this much celebrated isle. Spent half the time based in Launceston in the north and the rest of the time based in Hobart in the south. While in Hobart we were able to spend a day wondering around the MONA (Museum of Old and New Art) which everyone (including the kids surprisingly) loved.
Thankfully for us, we only just snuck this trip in before the full brunt of the Corona Virus really hit home. We got home on the Monday and by Tuesday I was asked to work from home as things were starting to go pear shaped around the world.
There are times when the gravity of this situation makes me wonder why I am spending my efforts making art, but I’m buoyed by the happiness and appreciation that art gives to people in a time when positive experiences are craved.
We’ll get through this if we all do the right thing and look out for each other. It is a time to pause and appreciate the things in life we hold dear but often take for granted.
Stay safe everybody.